Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12

Yesterday's trip went well and a good time was had by all. Sometimes getting out and about and interacting with others can help a writer become more focused and creative. While I love the quiet of my house and garden, it is not good to remain here without any outside world connections. For instance if I didn't meet author Marin Thomas for lunch at the mall, I would never remember that people are mall walkers. They wear sturdy shoes, tie ID pouches around their waists and walk laps with fierce determination as quickly as possible. There's a story there. If I didn't drive along the highway I wouldn't see that some of the trees are already turning red while others are being killed by fungus or bugs and have brown curling leaves. I wouldn't notice the signs that say "next three miles cleaned by..." all things that can spark a story or a character.
I hope that you have the chance to get out a bit and take in the character of the season and the people in it. Cheers~

2 comments:

  1. I'm about to go to a staff meeting at work. I'll be taking in plenty if different characters soon...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- work is a great place to find characters- good and bad. I take notes when things get hairy- :) conflict after all is the life blood of a novelist. Cheers~

    ReplyDelete