Friday, April 29, 2011

April 29

All right my friends, how many of you got up early/stayed up late to watch the Royal Wedding? No, I didn't. I understand the appeal, though. With all the terrible news of wars and tornadoes and floods and fires and earthquakes, rising gas prices...etc., etc. It is kind of fun to focus on a silly thing like a royal celebration. Monarchies are so odd in the 21st century of elected officials and policy makers. I think it's a nostalgia thing. People like to think that kings and queens symbolize chivalry and golden ages.
Unless, of course, you've ever cracked a history book or read an historical novel. When I was much younger I loved to read time travel novels where girls of today went back in time to fall in love with a warrior prince. Now that I'm older, I think I won't give up my coffee; clean, dry, heated/air-conditioned home, my grocery store that offers more than root vegetables in the dead of winter. Giving up cars and planes and public water for a rat infested manor home, in a time when childbirth was a statistical death sentence. Yeah I could go on.
Maybe it's the fantasy that somehow being rich and/or royal makes your life better. I don't know.
Now for the truth: the first thing I did this morning was watch the yahoo video to see the dress and the decorations in the church and the kiss on the balcony. ;)
My wish for them and all the young people in love and starting families all the best. Cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment