Monday, September 6, 2010

Sept. 6

It is Labor Day. I hope your weekend was fun filled. I spent the weekend picking grapes, then washing and sorting and cooking them down to juice. I got twenty cups of juice from our one grape vine. Then I made two batches of grape jelly and froze the last ten cups of juice. Lucky for me it was cool enough this weekend to stand over boiling pots of sugar and juice and stir without melting completely away. I've made thirty jars of jam so far this year just from our little back yard bunch of strawberries and one grape vine.
When I was growing up we didn't waste good fruit. To this day I can't do it. So when bananas get old, I make banana bread. When the strawberries and grapes come in, I make jam. I like to think of it as a way to celebrate the abundance around me.
What did you do this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. I can't waste either. We have tons of frozen bananas in our freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it seem as if fruit goes bad quickly these days? And it costs so much. It's like a dollar or more for a single apple. So only silly people would waste that! Cheers~

    ReplyDelete