Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11

Interesting Monday~ woke up to the house shaking and a fury of a storm going on. Grabbed little dog and hit the basement. It lasted almost thirty minutes and when it was done we had tree branches down, trash cans, and trash everywhere. (Why do these things happen on trash day? I think the wind see the trash cans as a challenge.) We are safe. As best I can tell our roof is intact- although they did stop the trains due to 80 mph wind gusts. To put that in perspective, according to the Beaufort wind scale- it is hurricane force with extensive destruction and devastation possible. (Don't you love the drama in the words destruction and devastation?) If you go by the Affir-Simpson Hurricane scale it was a hurricane one. Which means: No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. (Certainly much less dramatic. ;))
We are without power. I'm using laptop battery and wifi battery back up. Hope the power comes on before the food in the fridge goes bad. How's the weather where you are?

4 comments:

  1. Oh no Nancy!! Glad to hear all of you (and little dog) are safe after that adventure. Weather freezing here but I won't complain after what you've been through! At least my roof isn't rattling! :)

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so frightening. It's totally out of my life's experience, living in the UK where weather is so temperate. I have to admit to having a vision of you as Judy Garland when you grabbed your little dog and ran but I know this isn't funny. It's serious. So stay safe and I hope the hurricanes avoid you in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness. Glad everyone is okay. Weather is hot and hot, and muggy here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone.

    Judy- I kept thinking- at least it isn't winter where we would freeze.
    Rosalind- there are still piles of trees everywhere-it looks like a war zone.
    Linda- stay cool. I hear the really hot stuff is going to be staying around you for a while.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete