Tuesday, July 26, 2011

July 26

I'm having a terrible time getting started on my latest book. I can't figure out why that is. I love the idea. I love the characters. I've got my beat sheet worked out. So what is my problem? Why am I scratching out five pages at a time?
My lovely friend and fellow writer Joelle Charbonneau clued me in last night. She said, "You have been in editing mode so long, you are struggling to get back into writing mode."
A bell went off in my head, she's right! I've spent this entire year so far revising and editing first the gluten-free mystery book, Gluten For Punishment and then my thesis thriller, Mind Games. I'm so into editor mode that I'm picking at my writer trying to work. Poor writer. She sits down and instead of letting her play I keep telling her things she should edit. Does this happen to any of my writer friends out there?
My solution is to do a few playful, creative, non-writing projects until I can once again hear the writer voice inside me. So I'm off to color with colored pencils or maybe bake up a new recipe.
Cheers~

3 comments:

  1. I was exactly the same. And then I just put my fingers on the keyboard, and, yay, they remembered how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be so nice if your inner editor and writer could just get along and play together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, yep sometimes all it takes is sitting in the chair and writing day after day- it's like riding a bicycle. It comes back to you. :)

    Hi Miranda, I agree. There would be great power if we could harness both together, but I think they come from different parts of the brain. or maybe we are only supposed to be able to do one thing at a time. :)

    Cheers~

    ReplyDelete