Friday, July 17, 2009

July 17

In college I had a math minor and tried out majors in paleontology, aerospace engineering, and meteorology. While I find math and science concepts ultra cool, what I discovered was that my brain tends to turn these findings into stories. (I struggle with the down and dirty exacting proofs that mathematicians and scientists insist on.)
That is how I knew I was really a better story teller than scientist. I kept making these creative leaps that would take years to prove and reprove and review. Let's face it I have the patience of a gnat. :) Instead I think I'll dream up a cool new story using my leaps of creativity and let my characters prove or disprove my theories.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. You're in good company, Nancy.

    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Crichton, and even Carl Sagan, all found they needed to shelf the science parts of their brains every once in a while, and dream up a new world or two, unfettered by reason and exacting proofs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty good at both, but I often see math answers without a clue as to how I got them.
    Guess I better stick to writing...

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete