Wednesday, July 8, 2009

July 8

Since the turn of the century/millennium there is much talk about the magic of numbers. One such number was the Olympics on 8/08/08 - good luck according to the Chinese culture. Today is another odd number- just after noon will be - 12:34:56 07/08/09 - of course they leave off the 0 before the 7 and 8 and then take away the 200 before the nine to get this supposed "cool" number that will "never" come again... until 2109.

I like things like horoscopes and astrology and biorhythms- I think they are fun to think about... and also new ways to see the world. I'm not much into numbers-being a word person- but lots of people swear by the hidden math that surrounds us. (I love the TV show "Numbers" where they can predict behavior and solve crimes with math.)

For me, though, numbers are mostly seen in bills and bank accounts and so, I don't have a happy time relating to them. (The ac was fixed yesterday. A relay on the motherboard fried with a nice cloud of smut and a hole in the board. At least the bill wasn't astronomical and I am now in cool allergy filtered comfort.)

If you're a writer, an interesting way to round out a character is to give them an interest in numbers or horoscopes. A little quirk to help the reader see them as more human.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Be even 'cooler' if my bills stopped coming until 2109!

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete