Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feb. 24

Woke up this morning to find two deer just beyond my fence. They look like a mother and baby-although the baby no longer has spots. I think the baby may be the deer that was a playful fawn last summer. I watched while the mother nibbled on shrub and the baby ate a portion of the same fir tree it danced around when it was little.
Big dog George wanted out very badly but I won't let him. The deer stayed. Baby bedded down in the snow and then mama followed. Little dog Gracie (boo,boo) rang the dog bell because she had to go out to potty. (I hung a bird bell on the door handle and trained the dogs to ring the bell if they have to go out.) So I carefully let Gracie-a bichonpoo-out keeping 80 pound George inside. The baby deer got up and watched as Gracie did her potty dance. The expression on the deer's face was priceless. It looked as if it was trying to figure out what the heck Gracie was.
For her part Gracie ignored the big scary deer-did her business and came back in. The deer are still bedded down in the woods. They look like the donkey in a manger scene. I love wildlife. My son on the other hand would think- yum, dinner!- and go looking for his gun.
Cheers~

3 comments:

  1. You need to take pictures of your wonderful wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a priceless scene. And that is so cool; you have a dog trained to ring a potty bell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L. Diane, I did take a picture but I don't have a good digital camera and I'm not certain you can tell what I shot.

    Linda-lol-thanks for not thinking I'm terribly OCD to train my dogs to ring a bell to go out. But it helps if I get distracted in writing and they want out. Cheers~

    ReplyDelete