Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25

Do you sell yourself short? Would you publish for a bag of cookies? Or a ten dollar gift certificate? Or do you take a stand and say no I should get a reasonable advance of X. (Reasonable after doing a boat load of research and figuring out what is "real" and right for your publisher and what is "fake" and over reported.) Have you ever said no to a book contract because the pay was well under what others at the same publisher are making? Or do you simply say- yes! yes! Publish at all costs. Offer me a glass of wine and I'll sign a contract!
It makes me feel sad to be low balled. Do I accept the terms or do I not? Some people who stand their ground get more. Yet I fear if I try that I'll be left with nothing but ground and a manuscript. I hate negotiation. I can never seem to buy a car without getting stiffed. It goes along the same lines as the customer is always right, unless I'm the customer. Then it's "too bad, you lose." sigh.
I bet a lot of people feel this way. But sometimes if you stand your ground, you get what you deserve. I just hate to have to do it. Are you good at it? If so, do you have any tips you can share?

4 comments:

  1. Right now I feel like I'd sign for a bowl of mushy peas, but I've had no writing successes beyond my residential 'rah rah' team patting me on the back.

    However, you bring up an interesting question for debate. Sell one's soul or remain the 'starving artist'? My position at the moment whets my appetite for over-cooked green legumes.

    Good luck in your pursuit of knowledge, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally suck at ground-standing. I give in WAY too much stuff. It's depressing to feel so weak.

    But thank goodness, so far I haven't regretted anything that I've given into, especially in the publishing world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend once who said she would sell for a bag of puppy poo. LOL Sad, really. There comes a time when you can't be so desperate.
    Julie Garwood tells of a time-perhaps her third or fourth book where she stood up for herself and said- no. I'd rather pull the book than continue to be buried. The publisher backed down- made her a lead and the rest as they say is history.
    I hope for history making days for all of us. cheers~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not very good at it, either. However, my husband knows how to stand firm! I guess we balance one another in that respect.

    ReplyDelete