Friday, June 5, 2009

June 5

The shift in season is so dramatic to me. Probably because I emerge like a mole from my office and blink up at the expanse of sky. On Monday I went to let the dogs out when I noted a lovely bit of tan moving gently through the dark green edge of the woods behind us. Then caught my breath as a full grown deer stepped out and walked toward the pine tree directly behind my house. This is when the dogs saw it, of course and barking commenced. The deer stopped, lifted a front paw and turned its head toward me and the dogs who watched behind patio glass. Then just as gently slid back into the dark green underbrush and was gone. Lovely.

Then yesterday, around the same time, three in the afternoon, I opened the patio door to step out on the deck only to see a little spotted fawn near the same tree. It actually cavorted--dancing and twirling on legs so spindly I thought they would break--before it moved off in the underbrush in the opposite direction of the deer I saw earlier in the week. And yes, I'll be keeping my eye out for more.

On the writing news, the revisions to part three of the project are done. I'm reading a book for the Master's program and I've got a critique to do. So, its back to my office and work. Happy Friday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Holy Moley--! You're like a tireless machine!

    Just rather nervously sent off a proposal for a teen reader novel this morning.

    Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No deer, but this week alone I saw rabbits, squirrels and a snake. (Really calm about the rat snake, but I'm glad I did not step on him, as I might've let out a scream at that point.)

    Seasons changed here just last week - went from 70-80's spring nice to 80's summer humid!

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martin-

    Good luck on your teen project! I'm looking at revising an old book for YA as well...

    L. Diane-

    The one good thing about living so far North is that summer dawdles...the older I get the less I like the heat. Crazy! :)

    ReplyDelete