Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 9

Saw my fawn step out of the woods again yesterday--literally a stone's throw from my back door. (And I throw like a girl.) Sweet.

In my Sunday blog, I talked about validating your own personal process- for me it was the fact that I write too fast. Let me clarify... if you have been told you write too slow- don't worry. If that is your process- that is your process. It's not wrong... as long as you finish a book and start another.

Some of the most famous writers in the world take 15 years to write a book. Now, I'm not saying they live off their royalties... but imagine if they quit writing because someone told them they had to write faster to be successful and they knew in their hearts they could not. The world would miss out on their voice, their story and what they have to say. A part of our culture would suffer.

So-no matter what your process- here's to you and your efforts!

3 comments:

  1. I guess I take about a year to write a full novel. My self-help book came together in 3 months, but that's because I had to complete it on time!

    And you throw like a girl - that's funny!

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm told that I write very quickly. Don't know if that's good or bad.

    All I know is that I'm assigned a book and meet the deadlines, which are almost always way too soon to be comfortable. Since I write full-time for a living, I often I can't really wait for my Muse to kick in. I need to pay rent and eat, etc., so I always forge ahead, hoping for the best.

    This past year alone I've written ten children's books and provided short stories for three anthologies.

    I do have a system which is hard to explain, but it works for me. Every writer needs to be comfortable with their own style and habits.

    Luckily I learned my own tricks a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Martin,

    And you say I work hard. :) This is great. I don't wait for my muse either...just slog along. The muse is always ten steps ahead of me anyway...

    Here's to being assigned deadlines! Cheers-

    ReplyDelete