Friday, February 27, 2009

February 27

It's Friday and I promised to update you on the great agent query. To give you all some background, I have been writing seriously for 15 years. During that time I've signed with two very different agents-neither sold a single book for me. I sold all nine books, myself. So, why still agent hunt? Because editors take you far more seriously if you have someone else pitching you. Sad but true. This particular book is a new genre for me-thriller vs. romance. So I am hoping to find representation to launch me into the genre. Note the word-hoping- if no agent has the time or inclination to represent this venture. Then I will send off queries myself. To be honest at this point I trust myself to rep me far more than I trust an agent. Both of my ex-agents were well researched- no fee charging and NY based-one was with a very big agency. One was with a boutique agency. So, I'm a little jaded. *shrug*

Here's the key- keep plugging. So far I've sent out five e-queries and received one answer..."Sorry, this is not the right project for me at this time."

Today I'm mailing out eight queries- some with five pages, some with twenty- one with fifty per their submission guidelines. I expect to hear back by June-yes, June is reasonable in this crazy business. In the meantime, I've got another book to work on. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Nancy,
    Is this your main blog?
    Great pic!
    So I didn't realize you were published. How cool is it that you sold your own books! :-) I used to like e-mail queries until I realized that I never know if they go through. At least with the mailed ones I get a SASE back. I have a whole bunch of unanswered queries from agencies that claim to answer them all.
    I can't wait to hear what happens! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think querying is my least favorite part of the book business so far. If only sending out queries and trying to sell the book was as fun as actually writing it. Sigh.

    Good Luck, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Jessica, I ramble here daily-try to put more writerly stuff on the Sunday blog. You're welcome to both! I know people who love e-mail queries...I just don't get it. *shrug*

    Linda, yeah, the biz end of writing is the not so fun stuff...but then I guess if it were the best part we'd be publishers... right? :)

    ReplyDelete